Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Off the Shelf - GBT


Note:  The Off the Shelf series will only include books that I gave 4 stars or more on Goodreads.  Almost always 4 stars.


109713
Goodreads Rating: 3.91
Elliptical Review (courtesy of Goodreads):  None. 

485803
Goodreads Rating: 3.63
Elliptical Review (courtesy of Goodreads):
"Good book, sad ending."

768943
Goodreads Rating: 4.01
Edited Elliptical Review (courtesy of Goodreads):  
"Surprisingly enjoyable collection from a radical feminist with numerous 'all-female' ties, including Mills College.
The title was inspired by slasher flicks. There are ten pieces that share the title: Final Girl I, Final Girl II, etc. Mary Rowlandson, Patty Hearst, and Jack Kerouac make appearances."


386187

Goodreads Rating: 3.91
Elliptical Review (courtesy of Goodreads): None



815187

Goodreads Rating: 3.97
Edited Elliptical Review (courtesy of Goodreads):
"Funny stuff. Sedaris has a writing style that keeps things from getting boring. Topics covered include: his father, his sisters, his brother, living in Raleigh and New York city, taking guitar lessons from a midget, various pets (mostly dogs), jobs as a writing teacher and a mover, drugs, art, learning to speak French, and his relationship with his boyfriend.
Occasionally, he would make contradictory statements. Like he'd make a broad generalization, then talk about something that doesn't fit the generalization, as though he never made the generalization. I also think he wrote a bit too much about learning French. The 27 chapters are separated into two sections, and I found the first section to be better: funnier, more interesting."

4 comments:

  1. I just got Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, so I hope I like it as much as you did. I’ve seen Me Talk Pretty all over the place for years. I should probably pick it up someday.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I keep mentioning Midnight. I liked it, but it also fits several different categories: gbt, mystery, crime, movie, nonfiction, and it's very location specific. Anyway, I hope you're not disappointed in it.

      Delete
  2. I laughed myself silly over some of the parts about Sedaris learning French (Me Talk Pretty One Day). "The rabbit of Easter, he brings of the chocolate (or something like that)... LOL! I listened to that audiobook in one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. There was also the woman who threw out her shoulder from raising her hand so much in class. :)

      Delete