Friday, February 26, 2021

Film Friday: The Elliptical 100 (2)

 


Saddle up dem hosses.  

Directed by George Roy Hill.
Released in 1969.

William Goldman won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.



Based on a Michael Blake novel.
Directed by Kevin Costner.
Released in 1990.

It went over budget, so Costner paid a sizable chunk himself.



Based on McCabe, by Edmund Naughton.
Directed by Robert Altman.
Released in 1971.

Features three early Leonard Cohen songs.



Based on an Alan Le May novel.
Directed by John Ford.
Released in 1956.

Natalie Wood played Debbie, the kidnapped girl.  She played Maria in West Side Story.



Based on a novel by Jack Schaefer.
Directed by George Stevens.
Released in 1953.

They needed 116 takes for one scene.



Based on a novel by Charles Portis.
Directed by Henry Hathaway.
Released in 1969.

John Wayne's only Oscar-winning performance.


If I could save only one:  McCabe and Mrs. Miller.  Though I think The Searchers is the best of the group.   

Last Week's Answer:  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  Jon and Brett Alan (who mistakenly believes Brodeur was better than Roy) each earned a point. 

This Week's Question:  There has been a Warren Beatty sighting.  For what other film is he on the list?
       

11 comments:

  1. I know Dances with Wolves and always enjoyed that one, and of course Shane. Gotta check out the rest of these, most of which I recognize by name but have never seen. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that Butch and Sundance has a lighter tone, while The Searchers and McCabe are a bit darker.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like Shane needs start watching some better films :)

    I love Alan Ladd, but other than the final shootout, didn't much care for Shane. Everything else here is pretty solid though. True Grit is probably my favorite of the bunch. And if you haven't done so yet, you might want to avoid the remake, it was even worse than I thought it would be.

    I guess I'll go with Bonnie & Clyde to answer your question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw the remake. It's not on this list. Ha.

      Delete
    2. That's the remake of True Grit that I saw and is not on the list.

      Delete
  3. "...that's a lot of talk for a one eyed fatman."

    "fill your hands you don of a bitch!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Wayne was my first favorite actor. TBS kept showing his movies.

      Delete
  4. OK, since it's not Bonnie & Clyde, that leaves me with two guesses. I'll go with Reds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't said if it is or isn't B and C. I never comment on guesses.

      The movie that's not on the list is the remake of True Grit.

      Delete
  5. Haven't seen Dances with Wolves in years, but I really liked it. Pretty sure I saw True Grit... or possibly the remake. Tried to look up the Beatty sighting, but only came up with McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The list is 100 movies. In the next group, there will be a movie he was in.

      Delete