Saturday, June 26, 2021

The Madre Visited

and she brought a couple more boxes of cards down.  One of baseball, which was pretty much what I expected - mostly overproduction era and not much star power.  But the other one was football and it was a bit more interesting.  

  

 

 


   

     

     

    


      

     

      

    

    


-  The Throwin' Samoan.

-  Edwards of Miracle at the Meadowlands fame.

-  Owens is a Congressman now. 

-  Another Jordan for my multi-sport collection. 

-  If I do a bust collection,  Mandarich is a shoe-in. 

-  The Fridge. 

So yeah - no WOW cards, but some good players.  Mostly offensive linemen and defensive guys, though Carlos Carson, Haywood Jeffires, Ernest Givins, and a Jay Novacek RC (as a Cardinal) were in there.  

There were a lot of early 1980s Topps, which makes no sense to me.  This was a few years before I started collecting and they're not guys I would have targeted as singles.  1983 in particular - so if you're building that set, feel free to shoot me your want list.  

The oldest in the box were six from 1979:  Preston Pearson, Butch Johnson, and four lesser known Eagles.     

Anyway, I'll show some of the baseball cards tomorrow.  


(as usual, card images from TCDB)

10 comments:

  1. Lomas Brown should be in the Pro Football HOF.

    Good Job. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a Mandarich autograph for my Packers PC and Sports Bust PC for years:

    https://fujiapple.weebly.com/sports-busts-pc.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any autos of famous busts. Most of my autos are guys people haven't heard of, because I got them in repacks.

      Delete
  3. The early-mid '80s were right before I started collecting football cards, too. I've really taken an interest in those sets lately. Not ready to start any new set builds but do I like to pick up cheap singles from '82-85.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was today years old when I learned that Herm Edwards played before coaching! I'm guessing that I'm the only one who didn't know that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of younger football fans don't know probably.

      But he played for my favorite team, so I had an advantage.

      Delete