Friday, June 12, 2020

Card Collecting 22: Incoming

So my dealer has opened up again on a limited basis - one customer at a time I think.  I had some store credit to spend and I was hoping for a certain basketball card I had seen a while back.  But he couldn't find it.  However, I did get a football card.

1974 Topps #500 Roger Staubach Front
1974 Topps
It's #500, so it doesn't help my frankenset.  But it upgrades the Cowboys team page in my binder.  It's tough finding good players for them.

Then, on Wednesday, I received my winnings from Tim's Cardpocalypse give-away. 

2017 Donruss - Top Tier Cracked Ice #TT6 Jimmie Johnson Front
2017 Donruss
An SN999 Cracked Ice insert that's shinier in real life.  My first racing card.  Might have to build a mini collection of just Hall of Famers and Danica.  #RacingSnob   

2000-01 Upper Deck - Touch the Sky #T1 Kobe Bryant Front
2000 Upper Deck
A Touch the Sky insert.  My first Kobe.  Yet, I have several Jordans.  I'm sure this has nothing to do with being old.  (sigh) 

1982 Donruss #8 Rod Carew Front
1982 Donruss
What's better than Diamond Kings?  Pre-junk era Diamond Kings.  Also, a good way to avoid those nasty fake autos on 1982 Topps. 
2015 Topps Strata
  SN99 swatch card.  Had to go to Bing for the image; this is from CJ's Card shop.

1970 Topps #502 Rollie Fingers Front
1970 Topps
Listed as 6'4", 178 on the back.  LOL.  Eat something, Rollie.     

Useless Trivia:  Fingers played for the 1966 Modesto team that won the Advanced A California League title.  His teammates included Reggie Jackson, Joe Rudi, Tony LaRussa, and Dave Duncan.  

So yeah - Tim hooked me up.  Here's a link to his blog:

https://lovecardboard.blogspot.com


5 comments:

  1. Man I wish I was collecting in the late 90's, those Touch the sky inserts are a good example of the kinds of stuff I missed out on. Several Jordans! That's cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I don't have a lot of basketball, but most of what I have is junk era. So Jordan, Barkley, Nique, etc. Not their high-end cards, just random pack pulls.

      Delete
  2. That Rollie is a beauty! That was a fun contest that Tim ran, obviously your luck was a little better than mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was one of the winners in the final round. But I got baseball and basketball anyway, so it worked out well for me.

      Delete
  3. Nice winnings! Any Kobe is a great add!

    ReplyDelete