Friday, March 5, 2021

Film Friday: The Elliptical 100 (3)

 


Is it a crime if you don't get caught?   





  







Directed by Arthur Penn.

Released in 1967.

-  Gene Wilder's film debut.













Based on Edwin Torres novels.

Directed by Brian De Palma.

Released in 1993.

-  Alan Dershowitz threatened a defamation lawsuit because he thought Kleinfeld (Sean Penn) was based on him.













Directed by Roman Polanski.

Released in 1974.

-  Polanski appears as a gangster.  

* Obviously, he did some bad stuff.  Decide for yourself how to handle it. 













Directed by Joel and Ethan Coen.

Released in 1996.

-  The wood chipper is on display at the Fargo - Moorhead Convention and Visitors Bureau.     













Based on a Gillian Flynn novel.

Directed by David Fincher.

Released in 2014.

-  There was a four-day production delay because Ben Affleck refused to wear a Yankees hat for a scene.  It was switched to a Mets hat.













Directed by Michael Mann.

Released in 1995.

-  Neil McCauley (De Niro) is loosely based on actual 1960s criminal Neil McCauley.  













Based on a novel by John Ball.

Directed by Norman Jewison.

Released in 1967.

-  Set in Sparta, Mississippi but filmed mostly in Sparta, Illinois.  













Directed by Quentin Tarantino.

Released in 1994.

-  Michael Madsen turned down the Vince Vega (Travolta) role to be in Wyatt Earp.













Based on a novel by Thomas Harris.

Directed by Jonathan Demme.

Released in 1991.

-  Michelle Pfeiffer and Meg Ryan both turned down the role of Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster).      


If I could save only one:  Heat

Last Week's answer:  Bonnie and Clyde*

This week's question:  Faye Dunaway was in both Bonnie and Clyde and Chinatown.  What other film of hers is in the Elliptical 100?  


The Leaderboard

Brett Alan - 2

Jon - 2


*  There was some confusion in the comments section last week, so I'm giving Brett Alan a point.  It seemed like he would have guessed the right one if he hadn't been misled. 


12 comments:

  1. Nice, I'm so much less embarrassed this time! Have seen every one of these except Bonnie & Clyde and In the Heat of the Night. If they're anywhere near as good as the ones I HAVE seen though I need to check them out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heat is a GREAT movie.

    Love Bonnie & Clyde as well, Chinatown is terrific, and, of course, Silence of the Lambs is top shelf as well.

    Good Job. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently we have very different tastes when it comes to the crime genre. In the Heat of the Night still holds up really well, and Heat is still pretty good too, although it would've been better had the movie ended outside of the hotel with Deniro looking at Amy Brenneman. It was a great shot, and would've left it open to interpretation.

    You seem like a Network kind of guy, so I'll go with that as my guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the ending for Heat. So yeah - it's a flawed movie.

      There might be more crime movies, but classified differently. Gone Girl seems like a stretch, but it's cynical and I was light on newer movies.

      Delete
  4. I've seen only the last three. They're all pretty great. "They call me MR. TIBBS" is one of the great lines in movie history.

    Obviously the Faye Dunaway movie is Supergi--no, wait, just kidding. Network makes a lot more sense! That's a fine film. Fun fact: Dunaway was married to Peter Wolf of the J. Geils Band when she made that movie. They split up before his band hit it big with "Centerfold".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I did not know that. I had a Bad Boys of Rock tape in high school and that song was on it. Geometry teacher wouldn't let me play it at my locker. (Christian school.)

      Delete
  5. Fargo, Pulp Fiction, and The Silence of the Lambs are three of my favorite movies from the 90's. I'm pretty sure I've watched all three over the past 12 months... and it wouldn't surprise me if I watch at least Fargo again in the next 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great movies here but the only one I have n9t seen is Carlito’s Way. The answer to the question...I’m not sure I understand but I will say Chinatown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's another movie she was in that I haven't mentioned but will in a future post.

      Bonnie and Clyde and Chinatown have already been mentioned.

      Delete