Friday, September 30, 2016

Film Friday

Elegy 
Ben Kingsley as a college professor; Penelope Cruz as the younger woman who seduces him.  I think it sagged a bit in the middle, and I found the negative portrayal of men annoying.  But the leads were well-cast and the film made good use of classical music.  With Dennis Hopper.  Based on a novel by Philip Roth.      



Inside Llewyn Davis 
Oscar Isaac as a struggling folk musician in 1961 NYC.  Carey Mulligan and Justin Timberlake as his friends and colleagues.  There are some funny lines and the plot kept my attention.  It might be a bit slow-paced for some viewers, but I give it a casual thumb up.  With John Goodman and F. Murray Abraham.     


McCabe and Mrs. Miller  
Warren Beatty and Julie Christie as the title characters. Directed by Robert Altman.  Music by Leonard Cohen.  A gambler opens a brothel in a mining town, and partners with a madam.  A bit boring in parts.  The ending was well-played.  With Keith Carradine.  Based on a novel by Edmund Naughton.       




6 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to see Inside Llewyn Davis and, is it just me, or is Oscar Isaac now everywhere?? I would like to see the first one also since I love Ben Kingsley. I enjoyed McCabe & Mrs. Miller. It is not a favourite of mine and typical ending and sense of the times but a good movie nevertherless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. He was in three movies I recently watched, after being in none until a few weeks ago.

      We disagree on the ending to McCabe. From when he wakes up and sees the snow falling through the final scene was possibly the best segment of the entire film, i.m.o. But I also went into it expecting more of a conventional Western.

      Delete
  2. I want to see Inside Llewyn Davis, but haven't yet. I am unfamiliar with the other two. Have a great weekend, E Man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been meaning to watch inside llewyn davies. a casual thumbs up's not a bad review. i'd say most movies i've seen are deserving of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might be a film with a better than 'casual thumb up' rating in the next Film Friday.

      Delete