Sunday, April 22, 2018

Book Tag


Stolen from http://ajsterkel.blogspot.com/2018/04/twenty-questions-book-tag.html



1.  How many books are too many in a series?
     If each book is a stand-alone, it can go on for as long as the author can think of good stories.  If it's a series that requires one to read each book in order, I probably won't read any of them. 

2.  How do you feel about cliffhangers?
     At the end of a chapter?  I feel good.  At the end of a book?  I feel unhappy.

3.  Hardback or paperback?
     Paperback.  Lighter, more portable, easier to hold whilst on my back in bed. 

4.  Favorite books?
     The Long Good-Bye - Raymond Chandler
     The Spy Who Came In from the Cold - John Le Carre
     An Equal Music - Vikram Seth
     Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
     The Long Walk - Richard Bachman (Stephen King)
     Vox - Nicholson Baker
     On the Road - Jack Kerouac

5.  Least favorite books?
     Long ones, books that are p.c. just to be p.c., needlessly intellectual ones, and books in genres I don't like.

6.  Love triangles? Yes or no?
     Well, I did just mention a love triangle as one of my favorite books.  I think it can be done well and it can be done badly. The love triangles I like tend to involve single men in love with married women.

7.  The most recent book you didn't finish?
     Sugar - Jenna Jameson and Hope Tarr

8.  A book you are currently reading?
     Mr. Kafka and Other Tales from the Time of the Cult - Bohumil Hrabal

9.  Last book you recommended to someone?
     I don't know.  I recommend books to A.J. when she asks for recommendations from her readers.

10.  Oldest book you've read?
       Meh. I read The Odyssey and Oedipus Rex.

11.  Newest book you've read?
       When We Were Ghouls - Amy Wallen  (March 1, 2018)

12.  Favorite Authors?
       Dead ones?  Ha.  Raymond Chandler, Ian Fleming, Eric Ambler, Kurt Vonnegut, John Le Carre, Vladimir Nabokov, John Updike, Bernard Malamud, Elmore Leonard

13.  Buying books or borrowing books?
       Borrowing from the library.  I can no longer afford nice things.

14.  A book you dislike that everybody seems to love?
       Any popular book that is too long.  A lot of poetry collections, because my standards are weird.

15.  Bookmarks or dog-ears?
       Bookmarks.

16.  A book you can always re-read?
       Hmm. I am not a re-reader.

17.  Can you read while listening to music?
       Kind of?  I read at the coffee house where there's background music. But at home, the music has to be instrumental.

18.  One point-of-view or multiple?
       Either.  I liked B. Monkey and The Collector, and more recently The Word Exchange.  Those are two POV novels.  I liked The Year of Silence, which has a chapter each for several POV.  But most of the books I read are one POV.

19.  Do you read a book in one sitting or over multiple days?
       Multiple days usually.  I've read poetry collections and graphic novels in one sitting, but having recently been forced to cut back on my coffee I think those days are over.  Because I'm not staying at the coffee houses as long with only buying one cup.

20.  A book you read because of the cover?
       The Washingtonienne - Jessica Cutler

Anyway, consider yourself tagged.  

2 comments:

  1. I like your answers but I still love buying books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying is preferred. But sometimes borrowing is necessary.

      Delete