Sunday, December 16, 2018

Tonight I'm Someone Else: A Response

36461193

Chelsea Hodson:  I've worked for enough millionaires to know that more money doesn't mean more happiness.
Me:  Doesn't it, though?  More money means better health, better housing, better transportation, better food, better entertainment options, more and better social contacts, more influence, etc.  For men, more and better romantic and sexual opportunities.  So money in itself might not make people happy, but it certainly makes it a lot easier to be happy by eliminating obstacles.

Hodson:  How lovely to be young enough not to know any better.
Me:  Yes.  I used to think life was worth it.  I bought the lie that things would get better.

Hodson:  I romanticize the desert because there's so much quiet, so much empty space.
Me:  So Hodson lives in New York City.  Not sure if it matters here, but it might.  I live in a large city after growing up in a much smaller city, and it can be overwhelming at times.  The people, the traffic, the noise, etc.

Hodson:  How can I trust love if I can't ever truly touch it?
Me:  I don't know what it's like to be loved.  But I've been burnt enough to know that I can't trust people.  For her, maybe it's different.  Winners vs losers and such.  But yeah - we can touch people but not always know how they truly think about us. How deep or genuine their expressed feelings are. 

Hodson:  It took me years to realize silence could be an insult and was actually the worst insult.
Me:  Silence as ignoring, as in not caring enough to make any effort at all.  I live in an apartment building, so I can't die without people smelling it.  But I don't think anybody would really care.  I don't need to realize irrelevance or lack of worth, because I've lived it. I'm used to it. 

Hodson:  Everyone is so obvious, and we flatter ourselves by thinking otherwise.
Me:  I'm definitely aware of how obvious I am.  Ha.  Just not sure if it makes me stupid or boring.  Perhaps both.  Maybe this is why my attempts at writing have failed.  I lack finesse.  I'm too simplistic.  I contain a few, as opposed to Whitman's multitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment