Saturday, September 5, 2020

The Weekly Clean-Up










-  So I completed my Football Plus custom set.  It's two binder pages.  Let's look at the highlights.  

1972 Topps #105 Bob Hayes Front     1988 Topps #72 Willie Gault Front

1988 Topps #327 Bo Jackson Front     1987 Topps #170 Bo Jackson Front 

1991 Upper Deck #154 Deion Sanders Front    1993 Leaf #222 Deion Sanders Front

1988 Topps #266 Ed   1988 Topps #261 Herschel Walker Front

-  Yeah, I'm not happy with all the Cowboys. But it is what it is. 

-  It's 18 cards, but only 15 players because I needed two each for the baseball guys. 

-  I'm a bit surprised there aren't any football / basketball.  Charlie Ward won the Heisman, but he never played in the NFL.


-  So Jon (A Penny Sleeve for Your Thoughts) mentioned that a friend was building an Upper Deck football set.  I checked and I have a couple of them.  So I told him he could have them if he messaged me his address, but I haven't heard from him.  Maybe he already has them.   

-  I wish there was a decent set of art cards.  Something like this maybe: 200 card base set:  140 paintings, 40 artists, 20 museums.  200 inserts:  100 parallels, 40 refactors, 20 re-imaginings, and 40 hits.  Andy Warhol's portrait of Deb Harry, signed by Deb Harry, should be a popular hit card.  The rainbow parallel of Guernica might be controversial.  Anyway, feel free to make this set happen.  Then send me a free hobby box.     

   

   


6 comments:

  1. Charlie Ward has a few college football cards.

    How long ago did you send the email to Trevor? He's usually very prompt with his replies, so if it's been more than a few days, I'd be very surprised to hear that he hadn't gotten back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. College doesn't count though. I have standards. (He says as a box of early 1990s Pro Set sits to his left.)

      He requires email to comment on his blog. Whatever day the post with the link to his blog went up is probably the day I commented.

      Delete
  2. I'd buy a box of famous art cards. My buddy has (maybe had) several 1 of 1 Goodwin sketch cards where the artists did recreations of famous works of art. Tried hard to buy them off of him, but his asking price was way too high.

    As for the whole basketball/football connection, it wasn't the NBA... but Otto Graham played for the Browns and the NBL's Rochester Royals. I'm guessing he doesn't have a basketball card though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had to stick to modern era. For example - Jim Thorpe qualifies, but I'm guessing his football cards are way too expensive for my budget. Grahaam would have qualifed though if I had gone back that far.

      There are art card sets available online. But they're for teaching kids basic art appreciation or whatever. So not really what I want.


      Delete
  3. The Cowboys had a lot of those two-sport stars. Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson come to mind as well.

    An art card set would be neat. I've been wishing for better non-sports sets, like a 400-card music or celebrity set. Things like that exist but the checklists are really weak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should do one. Pioneers, Singer - Songwriters, MTV Generation, Guitar Heroes, etc.

      Delete