Sunday, August 8, 2021

Name Game: Junior Circuit

This is Part Two of a two-part series suggested by Matt, the Diamond Jester.  


New York Gothamites

Runners-Up:  Bats and herons.

Verdict:  The Yankees were beatable, but I failed to close the deal. 


Boston Pilgrims

Runner-Up:  Rebels

Verdict:  Win for me.


Toronto Loons:  The official bird of Ontario.

Verdict:  Draw.


Baltimore Barons, after the second Baron Baltimore.

Verdict:  Win for me.


Tampa Bay Smoke:  A subtle nod (as opposed to the more obvious Smokers) to the city's cigar making history. 

Runner-Up:  Spirits, after a name for the area used by 16th century Spanish cartographers.

Verdict:  I take the L.   


Chicago Monarchs:  The state butterfly of Illinois.  Also, royalty. 

Runner-Up:  Cooks

Verdict:  Win for me.


Cleveland Rockers:  Rock and Roll Hall of Fame reference.

Runner-Up:  Shredders

Verdict:  Win over Guardians. 


Detroit Diplomats:  A reference to the city's friendly relationship with Canada.

Runners-Up:  Ambassadors - Same as Diplomats, but longer.  Ospreys - a local bird.

Verdict:  L for me.    


Kansas City Mules:  State mammal of Missouri.

Runner-Up:  Bullfrogs - State amphibian.  

Verdict:  Win for me.  


Minnesota Aqua:  A reference to the numerous lakes and rivers in the state.

Runner-Up:  Ice - a reference to the cold winters. 

Verdict:  Win for me.


Oakland Wolves:  A nod to Jack London, author of The Sea Wolf  and wolf-related short stories.

Runner-Up:  Panthers, after the Black Panthers, who were founded in Oakland.

Verdict:  Win for me.


Seattle Grunge:  Music genre popularized in Seattle. 

Runner-Up:  Orcas

Verdict:  I take another L.  


Los Angeles Stars:  A Hollywood reference and also things in the sky.

Verdict:  Draw.  


Texas Wranglers

Verdict:  I take the L.


Houston Drillers:  An oil reference and also a baseball reference.

Runners-Up:  Roughnecks and Roustabouts, both oil industry references.

Verdict:  Win for me.  


Record:  8 - 5 - 2    

 


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cool. I don't know why MLB was so obsessed with legwear. Even the Reds were the Redlegs.

      Delete
  2. I like the Panthers over the Wolves for Oakland... but both are creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I went with Wolves because I thought it was less controversial. Not necessarily better.

      Delete