Saturday, August 7, 2021

Name Game: National League

So Matt, the Diamond Jester, renamed the MLB teams and challenged readers to think of our own new names. 


Philadelphia Independents:  Declaration of Independence reference.  

Runner-Up:  Brothers -  City of Brotherly Love reference. 

Verdict:  Low bar to clear, but I prefer this over Phillies, which isn't even a word. 


New York Naturals:  A sports term.  Also a reference to naturalized citizens, as Queens is heavily populated by immigrants.  Also a reference to The Natural, which was about a New York baseball team and was written by a New Yorker.   

Runners-Up:  Bats and herons - Both animals of New York.  The former is also an item used in baseball.  

Verdict:  Another low bar which I think I cleared.  


Atlanta Kings:  Martin Luther King Jr. and King George II, for whom Georgia is named. 

Runner-Up:  Peaches

Verdict:  I remain undefeated.  Yeah, baby!  


Washington Owls:  A local animal.

Runner-Up:  Republicrats

Verdict:  Another easy win.  MLB sure has a lot of lame team names.  

Miami Breakers:  Waves and spring breakers.  

Verdict:  I suffer my first L.  Props to the Marlins.   


Chicago Cranes:  A local bird and a construction tool used to erect the city's skyline.

Runner-Up:  Cooks, after Cook County.

Verdict:  Another win for me.


Milwaukee Robins:  A local bird and the first name of one of the best Brewers of all-time. 

Verdict:  Beer wins.


Cincinnati Foxes:  A local animal.

Runners-Up:  Miracles -  Reference to the Jefferson Starship song written by and sung by Cincy native Marty Balin.  Salamanders -  A local animal. 

Verdict:  I take the win, but it's an ugly one.


St. Louis Pioneers

Verdict:  I give myself the win, but Cardinals might be preferred by some readers.


Pittsburgh River Rats:  A reference to the city's location at the convergence of three rivers.

Runner-Up:  Earls, after William Pitt, the first Earl of Chatham.

Verdict:  Another one where I give myself the win, but others might disagree.  


San Francisco Fog:  If you know SF, you know.  

Verdict:  Win for me.


Colorado Cougars:  A local animal.

Runners-Up:  Mountaineers and various local animals. 

Verdict:  I take the win over the inanimate object. 


Los Angeles Surfers:  It's not the state sport of California because it's popular in Sacramento.

Verdict:  I take the win, as Dodgers is an antiquated NYC name.  


San Diego Amigos:  A reference to the city's neighborly relationship with Tijuana and the city's easy-going vibe.  

Verdict:  A tough loss.  Padres is a good one.  

 

Arizona Ocelots:  A local animal.

Runner-Up:  Scorchers

Verdict:  Another tough L. 



Record:  11 - 4


Diamond Jesters: More Random Musings (diamond-jesters.blogspot.com)


6 comments:

  1. I like the Philadelphia Independents! It sounds like a turn of the century (last century) team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Francisco Fog. I like it. Simple and straight to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done! I think Ocelots is a hidden gem when it comes to animal based sports names...

    ReplyDelete