Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Card Collecting 16: Repack Adventures

Big news in the repack world: the Fairfield football boxes are no longer 75 cards and a pack, but are now 50 cards, a pack, and a "bonus".  The baseball boxes are still 100 cards and a pack.

I bought three football boxes and two baseball boxes.  So let's take a look:

2013 Topps #229 Lance Briggs Front       2013 Topps #221a Clay Matthews Front

1983 Topps #164 Dwight Clark Front      1988 Topps #151 Anthony Carter Front 

1990 Fleer #113 Jim Kelly Front     1990 Fleer #133 Warren Moon Front

2013 Topps had several representatives.  A couple happy defenders here.  1983 Topps was the oldest, with a few inclusions.  1990 Fleer brought me a couple of Hall of Fame QBs.

       2014 Finest #42 Roddy White Front 

That's a Joe Flacco swatch card, image courtesy of COMC.  Roddy White helped a few of my fantasy teams back in the day, so he fills out the row.  The packs were all 2020 Leaf Draft.  I got a Ceedee Lamb, an Isaiah Simmons,  and a Jonathan Taylor.

The bonus in each box was a plastic key chain with a mini squishy football player attached to it.  I got Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Adam Thielen.  They're about as tall as a typical trading card is wide, so 2 1/2 inches I guess. 

2019 Topps Opening Day - 150 Years of Fun #YOF-22 Derek Jeter Front   2019 Topps Opening Day - Mascots #M-20 Mr. Met Front

2017 Topps #649 Manny Machado Front   2017 Topps #518 Christian Yelich Front 

The baseball packs were 2019 Topps Opening Day.  A couple batsmen from 2017 Topps.   

1993 Upper Deck #245 Barry Larkin Front   1995 Fleer Update #U-27 Andy Pettitte Front 

1988 JALFCO 1954 Wilson Franks Reprints #NNO Roy McMillan Front     1994 Ted Williams #115 George Wilson Front 

1981 Topps #191 Rick Sutcliffe Front   1989 Sportflics #157 Harold Baines Front

The gall of some catchers - thinking they can throw out Barry Larkin.  A pack of hot dogs. A Negro Leagues star.  There were a few 1981 Topps.  There were several Sportflics, with the photo changing when you move the card. 

Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. 50 cards and a crappy pack? Yeah I'm not buying any of those , sad that they can't find cheap bulk football to make it 100 cards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I don't know what's up with that. I already traded the bonus items for 20 9-pocket sheets. Ha.

      Delete
  2. Bummer that the repacks now contain a cheapo bonus instead of 25 cards. I haven't bought any repacks in almost two years, since I changed jobs and stopped going to the Walgreens right near that office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can walk to Walgreen's, but not Target. So the repacks have replaced blaster boxes. Though I'm currently ticked off at Panini anyway, so I don't know what I'm going to do for current football.

      Delete
  3. I assume the Roy McMillan is a reprint? Even still very cool for a repack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think the oldest I've seen in these is late 1970s. Usually the oldest is 1981 though.

      Delete
  4. I haven't bought a repack in awhile, and after hearing about these new "bonuses", probably won't be doing so anytime soon. Although it does sound like you did pretty well in turning yours into something that doesn't suck.

    ReplyDelete