Friday, January 29, 2021

L.A. vs the World

L.A. Lakers 

Center:  Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Forwards:  LeBron James, Elgin Baylor

Guards:  Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Key Reserves:  Shaquille O'Neal, James Worthy, Jerry West

Karl Malone played for the Lakers, but it was just one insignificant season.  So did Wilt, but it's a tough line-up to crack at center.  The Logo doesn't start.  Should he?   

Everybody Else

Center:  Bill Russell

Forwards:  Tim Duncan, Julius Erving

Guards:  Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson

Key Reserves:  Hakeem Olajuwon, Dirk Nowitzki, John Stockton

Both bigs are defense-heavy so I'm starting the better scoring threat at point guard.  If I did this three  years ago, LeBron would have bumped Doc.

   

Discuss!  


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ha.

      I almost used a picture of Jordan scoring against Rodman. But then I was like - I can't do that to the Worm.

      Delete
  2. I used to be a Lakers fan... so I'll go with Kobe and company. But I'd like to see Byron coming in and drilling some 3's off the bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Byron Scott grew up in Inglewood. He was drafted by the Clippers and traded to the Lakers for Norm Nixon.

      Delete
    2. He was my favorite player as a kid. Loved his cockiness and his ability to knock down shots.

      Delete
    3. Magic was my favorite non-76er. Partly because I hated the Celtics and partly because a Magic poster was the prize when I won a free throw contest.

      Delete
  3. As the teams are constructed, this would be a tight series! It would be very interesting to see what style of play would get used, as the vast majority of these players would have old school mentalities. I have a sneaking suspicion that Nowitzki's shooting might make a bigger difference than expected off the bench.

    The only spot that I would really think about a change in personnel is Dr. J. Swapping in Karl Malone or Larry Bird might be more effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mailman's ineligible for the world squad because he played a season for the Lakers.

      Bird was probably better than Doc, but with Doc's ABA years factored in it's probably closer than people think. Also, personal bias. Ha.

      Good point on Dirk.

      Delete
  4. Love this. LA did have such great players. It's hard to put West ahead of Kobe. I just don't know how good West was defensively so I'd leave Kobe in.

    I'd start Bird over Dr. J as well. His overall shooting and passing give him over the more athletically gifted Erving. Steph Curry would also have to be my point guard. Would open it up for everyone and his passing would create for everyone. Hakeem starts for me as well.

    Who wins? I think the world takes it but by a hair. Great fun with all the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete