Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Card Collecting: Incoming

So a while back, when I posted about my Staubach acquisition, I mentioned a certain card I wanted that my dealer couldn't find.  Well, he found it, so I bought it.

1974-75 Topps #250 Wilt Chamberlain Front  

He's not a player I would associate with one team, having divided his career and accomplishments kind of evenly among the Warriors, 76ers, and Lakers.  So the solution is this San Diego Conquistadors player-coach card.  He was actually prevented from playing for them by a lawsuit filed by the Lakers.  


I also received a bundle from Brian's Free Friday series (Highly Subjective and Completely Arbitrary). 

 2019 Topps Opening Day - 150 Years of Fun #YOF-5 Babe Ruth Front   2019 Topps Opening Day - 150 Years of Fun #YOF-7 Sandy Koufax Front 

2019 Topps Opening Day - 150 Years of Fun #YOF-8 Roberto Clemente Front  

Former Red Sox pitcher playing out his twilight years with the Yankees.

Sandy Koufax.  I guess if you're not as good as Phillies legends Steve Carlton and Roy Halladay, you have to make a big deal out of a few strike-outs.  

Clemente flirting with Jennifer Beals.   

2014 Topps #17 Todd Helton Front    1989 Topps Traded #48T Rickey Henderson Front 

In 2003, Helton finished 2nd in one of the closest Batting Average races in NL history.  I was in attendance for Game 162, against the Padres.  He came up in the 8th with a man on second and first base empty, so they intentionally walked him.  LOL.  That was also the last Padres game at Qualcomm Stadium.  

That's 1989 Topps Traded Rickey, to honor his return to Oakland after a stint in NYC.  I got his autograph during his first A's tenure.   

2014-15 Hoops #59 Kobe Bryant Front      1979-80 Topps #108 Phil Ford Front  

The Lakers have had some good players.  

Phil Ford's rookie card strengthens my unofficial Relocated collection. 

1992 Upper Deck #282 Keith Jackson Front  

We close this out with an All-Pro from the Buddy Ryan era.  The Eagles would go on to win Super Bowl LII by routing the Patriots.  


Highly Subjective and Completely Arbitrary:

https://subjectiveandarbitrary.blogspot.com



    





      

   

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff!! I LOVE that Wilt card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think the quirky cards are fun. There's a baseball one I have me eyes on which might get its own post if I ever acquire it.

      Delete