Friday, March 19, 2021

Film Friday: The Elliptical 100 (5)

 


We had criminals and spies the last couple weeks, so let's lighten it up a bit.



 
Directed by Woody Allen.

Released in 1977.

-  Sigourney Weaver's film debut.

*  There's some stuff with Allen.  Decide for yourself how to handle it.




Based on comic book characters created by Bob Kane.

Directed by Leslie Martinson.

Released in 1966.

-  Lee Meriwether (Catwoman) was Miss America 1955.

 


Based on a book by Cameron Crowe.

Directed by Amy Heckerling.

Released in 1982.

-  Film debuts of Nicolas Cage and Eric Stoltz. 




Directed by John Hughes.

Released in 1986.

-  Cameron lives in a Chicago suburb, but wears a Gordie Howe Red Wings jersey.




Based on a Gregory McDonald novel.

Directed by Michael Ritchie.

Released in 1985.

-  McDonald vetoed Mick Jagger and Burt Reynolds as Fletch. 




Directed by Harold Ramis.

Released in 1993.

-  The end of the Murray / Ramis relationship (Caddyshack, Stripes, Ghostbusters).




Directed by Robert Altman.

Released in 1975.

-  Keith Carradine wrote and performed "I'm Easy", which won an Oscar and a Golden Globe.


If I could save only one:  Annie Hall

Last week's answer:  Fast Times at Ridgemont High  

This week's question:  Burgess Meredith played the Penguin in Batman.  Which other movie gets him in the Elliptical 100?  


Leaderboard

Jon- 3 (correction: see comments section for explanation)

Brett Alan - 2


I believe Brett Alan has a story related to the Sean Penn / Susan Sarandon film Dead Man Walking.            

9 comments:

  1. I certainly didn't expect to see the 1966 Batman movie here! I do LOVE seeing Fletch, which is one of my (and my brother's) favorite and most quotable movies.

    OK, here's the story with Dead Man Walking. I did my student-teaching at the school Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins' kids went to, and I was good friends with a teacher there who taught one of the kids. One day Susan asked him if he had any plans for the upcoming break, and he mentioned that he was glad the Oscars fell during the break, because he'd be visiting his father, and they liked to watch it together, and they were going to have a party. And she asked if he'd like to have an Oscar at his Oscar party. Well, it happened that I was meeting my friend to see a movie the last day before the break, and so I joined him as he went over to Susan and Tim's place to borrow the Oscar she won for Dead Man Walking.

    Gotta go with Rocky for Burgess Meredith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool story. I was expecting something to do with prison outreach.

      Why are you referring to them by their first names? Have you been over to their house?

      Well, yes. I have.

      Delete
  2. Fletch. Every time it's on its a must see. Chevy's best movie after Caddyshack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is good too. The sequels are hit or miss though.

      Delete
  3. Points must be getting harder to come by, as Fuji and I both guessed Fast Times, and apparently were wrong somehow? Although I don't know why I'm bringing this up, since we don't why were trying to accrue points.

    And yeah, it's gotta be Rocky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuji guessed Mystic River. Though he mentioned Fast Times.

      I don't see a guess from you.

      There will be a prize for the winner.

      Do what you want to do.

      Delete
    2. Okay. I did some digging and apparently comments that miss the deadline to avoid moderation have been going to a secret section of my blog set-up instead of my email address. I now have a long list of comments I didn't know I had.

      You do have 3 and I'll correct it.

      Delete
    3. So what you're saying is, you're more popular than you thought you were :)

      Delete
  4. Love the 80's trifecta of comedies. Fletch, Fast Times, and Ferris Bueller are all classics.

    ReplyDelete