Wednesday, December 30, 2020

A Musical Interlude

Consider this my defense of country music.  Ha. 

Ten songs - no artist repeated.  Plus one more because one of the ten is Vevo.  Bah.  


 










Jolene - Dolly Parton
I Feel Lucky - Mary Chapin Carpenter
Pancho and Lefty - Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan (though more famous with Merle Haggard)
Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
A Thousand Miles from Nowhere - Dwight Yoakam
I Can Still Make Cheyenne - George Strait
Jackson - Johnny and June Carter Cash
The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band
Set You Free - Allison Moorer
El Paso - Marty Robbins
Screw You We're from Texas - Ray Wylie Hubbard




7 comments:

  1. Fun list!
    These are in my collection:
    Jolene - Dolly Parton
    I Feel Lucky - Mary Chapin Carpenter
    Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
    A Thousand Miles from Nowhere - Dwight Yoakam
    Jackson - Johnny and June Carter Cash
    The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band

    I enjoy 60s/70s country but like a little from the 90s too. Mary Chapin is among my favorite artists, in general. Great writing and voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool.

      She did have other candidates. Never Had It So Good got strong consideration.

      Wichita Lineman was the last cut I think.

      Cash was a tough one. Walk the Line and Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down made it a three-way race.

      Delete
  2. Although it's not at the top of my playlist, I do listen to country from time to time. Although... my Spotify playlist is filled with more of the pop country stuff.

    The only two songs I own on CD's are Jolene and The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Both songs remind me of my childhood. Back then I also enjoyed Kenny Rogers, Restless Heart, Alabama, and The Oak Ridge Boys.

    As for Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Dwight Yoakam... they remind me of college, because my childhood best friend went through a huge country phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get interested in country until I was a teen-ager. Probably because of CMT - flipped back and forth between CMT, MTV, and VH1. So Garth was a big deal and people of that era.

      Delete
    2. Back in the 90's, my buddy worked as a bartender at a bowling alley... so we'd hang out there and Garth was huge on the jukebox. Friends in Low Places and The Thunder Rolls are probably the two country songs I've heard the most in my lifetime.

      As for CMT... I never watched it. But I do enjoy watching the CMT Crossroads videos on YouTube.

      Delete