Friday, July 15, 2022

Sparky Lyle: DuBois and a Girl

 


Sparky was born in DuBois, Pennsylvania, in 1944.  DuBois was named after lumber magnate, John DuBois (not civil rights activist W.E.B. Du Bois), who donated or funded many of the first buildings.  Though the small city would shift from lumber to coal mining as its main gig. 


Other notable DuBoisians include:

Frank Fuller - NFL defensive tackle for nine seasons

Charles MacDonald - World War II fighter ace

Tom Mix (raised in) - silent film actor

Paul Vallely - retired U.S. Army Major General  


This, from Tina Fey:  If you’re a die-hard ‘foodie', hop off the road in DuBois and enjoy a Subway sandwich made at a place that is eighty percent gas station.


Let's look at some of Sparky's Red Sox cards:


This post brought to you by Daniel.

It's like having my own Card Shop: 1969 Heritage, I mean Topps, Sparky Lyle Rookie Card CONTEST (betterthanbeckett.blogspot.com)


3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I tried to fix the weird background on the Fey part. (shrug)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big fan of Fey. Not sure I'll ever make it out to DuBois... but if I do, I'd love to try out one of those sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete