Monday, July 18, 2022

Sparky Lyle: Love It

 


After his playing career, Sparky took some time off from the game.  But in 1998, he became the first manager of the Somerset Patriots, in Bridgewater, New Jersey.  He guided the team to Atlantic League pennants in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, and 2009.  Lyle retired from managing after the 2012 season.  


Let's look at a few more cards of Sparky.  

-  The Somerset cards are from 2000 and 2006. 



This concludes my Sparky Lyle series, brought to you by Daniel.

It's like having my own Card Shop: 1969 Heritage, I mean Topps, Sparky Lyle Rookie Card CONTEST (betterthanbeckett.blogspot.com)


2 comments:

  1. My favorite thing about Sparky was in his 1st book 'The Bronx Zoo' was talking about getting a specialized cake made then having an unnamed teammate taking a bottle of shampoo placed in certain areas of the cake. Then placed a sign stating ' Women Reporters Only!!!!' 1 took offensive to it another laughed asking Graig Nettles if he was responsible for bringing in this cake in & in typical fashion Nettles replies " No but I modeled for it." I only wish that Sparky would write a 3rd book his 2nd 'The Year I Owned the Yankees' had a little bit Spazz but his 1st is truly a baseball classic.

    ReplyDelete